Monday, September 15, 2008

My Mother!

 

A year ago on September 5th, my mom unexpectly passed away due to complications from being malnurished for far too long. For reasons which I can't comprehend at this time, she was unable to eat properly, which resulted in constant pain for her physically, emotionally and mentally. As a child, I thought it was normal for Mom's not to eat. As a teenager, I was too involved in my own teenage dramas to pay attention. As a mom myself, I thought she was missing out on one the best parts of living--EATING! As a mom later in years, with a daughter suffering from an eating disorder, I realized my mother was ill as well. By the time I realized her plight, it was too late. At first, I was angry, then frustrated, then guilty for not realizing the problem sooner. None of those emotions helped my mom, however. She needed and continues to need, I imagine, our understanding. She was ill, and therefore, was limited in her abilities. Nevertheless, she loved passionately, her family and friends. I can no longer feel any negative feelings about her illness. It wasn't who she was!!! I know without a doubt, that she made sure Telisa gave birth to a healthy baby boy. Maybe, she is doing in the next life, what she was unable to do here. I know she is thrilled to be with her parents, whom she adored, and looks forward to the day when she can be reunited with her Harold! Since her death, Bodie (Van Leeuwen), Lily (Blake), Owen (Peters) and soon Redd (Van Leeuwen) and baby Beaton will be born all healthy and strong. I know Mom is sending all these little Spirits off with her love and blessings. As a family, we are united in the cause of healthy eating styles for us and for our posterity (and anyone else who will listen to us), for we have painfully witnessed the affects of Eating Disorders. My mother's passing only reiterated the vital importance of eating and caring for our bodies properly. I know we live in a world obsessed with thinness. I am grateful, we have the truth! I love you MOM! We won't let you down!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even know what to say. I am eternally grateful for Grandma and her blessings. I am grateful to you for being the best example of an intuitive eater a girl can have and I am grateful for all the healthy babies coming into this world!! Thank you for your touching entry. Love you!!

Stephie said...

It was hard to know that she could've feel so much better if she would've just eaten, but you are so right, the eating disorder she struggled with wasn't who she was. She was a beautiful daughter, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother! She loved us all SO much and we loved her right back. I miss her so much but know that we all have an angel watching over us all the time (and we've got a lot of healthy babies on the way to prove it!). I love you Grandma and I love you Aunt Kathy for remembering Grandma just right! XO

Kim said...

Sometimes I can still hear her calling me "Sweetheart." She's the only one who ever called me that and I love her for it.

She is a sweetheart and I miss her. I will never forget the first Thanksgiving at her house--it was a life-long dream fulfilled to have Thanksgiving Dinner at "Grandma's House"

Her love and memory will live on in our hearts.

Tristen said...

I can still hear her voice too. Especially when I talk to you Mom. You sound a lot like her. I miss Grandma more than I can say, but I am grateful to have an angel watching over my new baby. Give her a hug and a kiss before you come to us Redd!!

Mikel said...

I can't believe it's been a year. Thank you for such a beautiful post. I love knowing that Lily was sent here by my loving grandmothers!

ps. Would you mind asking Kim if she would add me to her blog. I don't have any of her contact info. And I'd love to be able to keep updated with their family too! Thanks!

Tara said...

MOM that was such a sweet entry. I miss grandma like crazy I wish we all would have had a few more years with her. It was so hard to watch her struggle though and I know now that she is perfect.

Mama Beus said...

Thanks mom for that great entry. I miss grandma more and more everyday & have her on my mind alot. I am so grateful for the time that we had with her, but like all of us wish we could have more. She was a wonderful woman! I love her and you for all you have taught me!