Friday, March 6, 2009

William Howard Peters- 100 years old

William Howard Peters was born 100 years ago on March 4, 1909. I felt we should pay tribute to the husband, father, father-in-law and grandpa that continues to this day to leave his legacy. He loved his family very much and made sure they were well taken care of even after his passing.
My personal memories of Howard were his great love for his wife Hazel. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do for her. He loved to spoil her, and gave her a tremendous amount of respect as she served by his side in the community. Moreover, his pride and concern for his three children, Lee, Susan and Dennis were commendable. A highlight for Dennis was when he baptized his father just prior to leaving on his mission to Mexico. Howard was always very kind and loving to me. But I have to say, when Howard became a "Grandpa", that is when his soft side really shown through. I believe he relished the role of Grandfather above everything else. It thrills me that the Howard name has been passed on to his grandchildren, Paul Howard Peters, Treavor Howard Peters, and great children, Owen Howard Peters and Redd William Van Leeuwen! Howard would be thrilled.

Mayor Peters teaching his son Denny to be charitable!
Howard with Governor Ronald Reagan!
Glendale Days Parade! You can see the joy in Dennis' eyes! Love the bow tie! Cute family picture!!
Mayor Howard Peters final Council Meeting- April 1973. I believe he served for twelve years! You know where your dad gets his passion for politics.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Tara said...

Oh my goodness, I love this post. This makes me so proud to call him my grandpa!! I miss him, I have missed him my whole life, I wish I could have had time with him, to have a memory of him. Camera's are miracle workers, these photo's are priceless. We need to make a book about Grandpa Howard. I love the tribute!!

Mama Beus said...

thank you so much for the great post mom! I loved the pictures and the tribute. It brought tears to my eyes! I miss him as well as my grandmas so much! I wish they were all still here to see their wonderful legacy!

S Hurst said...

Aunt Kathy -

Thanks for much for posting this - it really touched me to read it. I have not seen the parade picture before - would love to get a copy. Love keeping up with the Peters via your blog.
Love, Shauna
PS - We love 24 as well, Go Jack!

Kim said...

Wow. What a tribute. The Pictures are amazing! I just loved reading it, and seeing young Dennis & Susan. I can't wait to meet this great man who has blessed & influenced my life so much through his great legacy. I am so grateful for him.

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more with the comments that have already been said. Like Tara, I have missed him my whole life. I absolutely love those pictures. Treavor looks exactly like Dad in the pic of him in the car. Thank you for the tribute!

Tristen said...

He was amazing! I love to hear stories about him. I am with Tara on this - I miss him!! I have not stopped thinking about him this week. Those pictures are amazing! They just make me love Dad more (if that's even possible)! Don't forget about Redd William - who is also named after his great grandpa!