Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One of my Heroes!


This is Maude Zundel. She passed away last week in American Fork, but she lived for many years in Glendale, California where Den and I grew up. She was one of the most positive and delightful example to me during my childhood and teenage years. She was always laughings, always serving, always making quilts for anyone who looked the slightest bit cold. She taught me how to quilt in the wee hours of the morning before Seminary and School. Her home was an open door. Time and time again my friends and I would show up at her door around 5 am. She would squeal with delight, take us into her living room and let us quilt until we had to go to early morning seminary. She often fed us homemade cinnamon rolls. She was the mother of five daughters, she worked full time at Forest Lawn and was the wife of a Bishop. A quote that I must of heard a thousand times from her, no matter what the situation was: "Isn't this fun!" Some people come into your life and make such an impression and impact, Maude was one the individuals for me. We loved her very much!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tristen said...

She sounds like a great person to have known. Life is better with people like that around.

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. I love to hear about people from your childhood and what you did. I can't believe you went to her house at 5am!! I would go to your house at 5am if I could!!

Kim said...

What an amazing lady. I think she rubbed off on your quite a bit.

Unknown said...

My parents were good friends of Maude Zundel, when she was in American Fork. I had the pleasure of meeting her on a couple occasions a decade or so ago and she was a very sweet and lovely woman. I am glad that she enjoyed such a long life. My mother fell victim to Alzheimers 7 years ago ,and is no longer really coherent but used to love to talk about Mrs. Zundel. RIP

Clay said...

Your daughter (Tristen) pointed me to this. What a great tribute. I'm very partial, but Maude (a.k.a Granny Goose) was the greatest. Not a day goes by that I don't miss her.