Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Three Wives Club- My Sisters




On October 12th, 2009, as Den and I were stuck on the 93 North freeway from New Hampshire to Boston, I received the most shocking phone call of my life. My brother Todd called to tell me he thought our brother Gary had passed away. He was standing outside his Condo, the police wouldn't let him in; just told him that there was a deceased man inside. I immediately called his wife, Lena and she confirmed through wails of tears that Gary was indeed dead. Shock, sadness, grief, bereavement and heartache ensued for me and my entire family. There was a small part of me that was relived because of Gary's intense physical pain for years and years, but my heart bled for his wife and 7 children. Gary's is my younger brother and he truly suffered physically like no else I know. Even though I knew, I still wasn't prepared for his early death.
Gary's wishes were for no funeral, just a viewing and a graveside service with an opening and closing prayer, the eulogy read and four songs of his choosing played loudly! I had my concerns, but it turned out the songs were very appropriate and quite lovely. I could just see Gary sitting at his drums playing his heart out to these tunes. After, his Chinese Ward provided a very nice luncheon at a nearby chapel. For me the day was very uplifting and healing. As you see pictured are me with his two former wives and current wife, the love of his life; Lena, Pam and Carin, whom I love very dearly. Telisa was unable to attend, so she sent a cookie bouquet to me and Stephanie. We loved it!!!!! I'm trying to understand what I need to learn from Gary's untimely passing. Maybe, that in life, we need to love our family more, forgive faster and never ever ever judge one another!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mama Beus said...

I agree with you mom, it was a very sad, but healing and good day. It was definitely a service I will never forget!

Tristen said...

Same goes for me. The music was awesome, inspiring and I could just picture Uncle Gary playing the drums.

Stephie said...

I never knew progressive rock would bring me to tears!! I'm glad that it all went they way he would have wanted it and that most everyone understood it to be "so Gary". I love you all so much and wish with all my might that I was able to have stayed longer. xo